Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Love, Penelope by Joanne Rocklin

How I Heard About It:  This middle-grade novel came to via the publisher  I loved the cover and was excited to read the story.  

What It Is About:  Penelope is a fifth grader with two moms.  They live in California and enjoy life.  Penelope especially loves basketball and follows it closely.  She also enjoys writing.  She decides to write letters to YOU during her mother's pregnancy.  She tracks the stages that YOU is developing while sharing what is going on in her own life.  Penelope writes about the basketball teams she follows, her moms, her friends, life in California, and her feelings about YOU's upcoming arrival.  The letters to the baby prove not only a record of the nine months before she arrives, but a way for Penelope to work through her thoughts, feelings, and ideas.  

What I Thought Of It:  When I first began the story, I thought the idea of letters to an unborn child was brilliant, unique, and engaging.  Overall, I enjoyed the story, but it lacked a sense of depth for me and I didn't really feel like I got to know the characters.  This could have been because of the letter "format" or just not relating to a fifth grade girl writing to her sibling.  I'm sure this book will be perfect for some middle-grade female writers.  

Who Should Read It:   In my opinion, this novel is best suited for readers in grades five, six, or above.  There were a few sections of the story that touched on some mature themes which I don't think about be appropriate for readers in grades four and below.  I also think girls will be more drawn to the story than boys.  Middle-school readers would also be a great audience for this upcoming book Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment