Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 2, 2018

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

How I Heard About It:  This was a title that I kept seeing in different reviews and/or write ups.  It also seemed to make several "Best of" lists for 2017.  It was added to my TBR list and recently I decided to listen to it on audio.  

What It Is About:  The story centers around two characters.  Nadia is an independent female who likes to take care of herself.  Saeed is a quiet, gentle man who is looking to make his mark on the world.  The two of them meet and have an instant connection.  They fall in love and want to begin a life together.  During this time, a civil war breaks out in the country that Nadia and Saeed.  As the days progress, life in their city gets worse and worse.  The two of them try to a way to make life work for the two of them, but realize they need to make some changes.  They hear about the "DOORS" that will lead them to a better and more civilized world.  Nadia and Saeed agree to take the risk, and enter the "door" to see what is on the other side.  Once they reach the other side, they are faced with several obstacles and tough decisions.  

What I Thought Of It:  To be honest, I didn't get this story at all.  I was enjoying the story when Nadia and Saeed met.  Once they were together and the war broke out, I began to get confused and wasn't following the story as I would have liked.  Once they entered this "other" world behind these doors, I was completely lost and not following the story.  I don't always do well with fantasy so that could have been part of it.  The writing was detailed and "advanced" and that didn't help with my engagement in the story.  Sometimes, the books that get the most press and hype, are the ones I enjoy the least.  

Who Should Read It:   Because this novel made so many "best of" lists, I know that a lot of readers must have enjoyed it.  I think those readers must be ones that enjoy rich, detailed, and complex story lines.  This just wasn't for me.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment