Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Truth about Martians by Melissa Savage

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite middle-grade novels from last year was Lemons by Melissa Savage.  It was one of my "Breakfast with Books" book club selections this past fall.  Being that Melissa and I are both from the Twin Cities, we were lucky to have her join our book club.  It was a highlight of the year.  She was kind enough to send me an ARC of her upcoming novel The Truth About Martians.  She talked about it a bit during our book club so I was extremely excited to read it.  

What It Is About:   When a flying saucer crash lands in Roswell, Mexico; Mylo's life will change in more ways than expected.  Mylo never believed in space ships and Martians, but his best buddy Dibs certainly did.  As the two boys hang out and spread time together, they "hear" and learn about something crashing in an empty field near their homes.  Soon everyone in the town is curious and wondering what has landed in their area.  Everyone has their own guess as to what it truly is.  When Mylo is alone is begins to hear a voice and he believes this voice is asking for help.  He begins to "investigate" this voice and is quite surprised as to what he finds.  Milo enlists the help of his best friend Dibs and a girl he likes named Gracie, to investigate the crash site, find any Martians, and help the one that needs it the most.  

What I Thought Of It:  I usually not one for "space" and/or "martian" stories, but this one caught my attention and interest right off from the first page.  I think I enjoyed the science fiction aspect of the plot because Melissa Savage included so many realistic fiction aspects throughout the story.  I'm a reader all about the relationships and interactions between characters.  This story had such wonderful and personal connections between Mylo and Dibs, Mylo and Gracie, and of course Mylo and what might be considered a Martian.  There were great life lessons and so much learning on the part of Mylo and Dibs.  The idea of other planets,  life on other planets, flying saucers, and Martians aren't something I normally believe in and/or think about; but this new novel certainly expanded my thoughts and ideas.  

Who Should Read It:  My fourth graders absolutely loved Lemons, and I know middle grade readers will find this a fascinating read as well.  In my opinion, this book could be read by fourth, fifth, and sixth grade readers.  I also think it could be used with middle-school readers.  These readers will be able to access the novel in October of 2018.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment